Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 3 month old female Shih Tzu and was told I should

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 3 month old female Shih Tzu and was told I should have her spayed or she would get cancer of the mammary glands. I would like to breed her at least once. I would like your opinion please. I'm 82 yrs. old and on soc. sec. but if it necessary I will take care of it.
Thank you, Customer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Pixie. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you would, please clarify something for me...

Are you hesitant to have her spayed because of your intention to breed her, or are you hesitant because of the costs involved for the surgery?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

While I await your reply, I'll let you know that failing to have Pixie spayed will not guarantee that she'll get mammary cancer. That's an inaccuracy resulting from several oversimplifications.

That being said, if you want to do what you can to keep Pixie as healthy for as long as possible and keep her medical expenses minimized, you should have her spayed when she is old enough.

If you are committed to breeding her and want to do so responsibly, that will mean considerable expense for veterinary care and testing to make sure she is free of heredity conditions, etc., that shouldn't be passed on. In general, I like to tell people that breeding is best left to people who love their breed passionately and have a lot of time and money to spend on doing it right.

If you just want her to be your happy and healthy companion with minimal vet bills, have her spayed.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but my screen is telling me your method of payment has failed, so the system cannot process your phone call request.

Please understand that you must pay to use this website, and that I receive credit for helping you only if you give me a positive rating for my answer.

Do you wish to continue?

Please contact customer service if you are having difficulty using the website. My goal is to be as helpful as possible in providing you information.

Thank you.