DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My friends 6 month old puppy just died. she was fine

Customer Question

my friends 6 month old puppy just died. she was fine yesterday but this morning she was lethargic. she didn't vomit but about an hour before she died she let out a lot of blood from her rectum. she hadn't eaten or drank anything before that.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. It is impossible to tell for sure without postmortem exam...but it sounds like the puppy might have had parvovirus. This is a virus that causes severe destruction of the intestinal walls which leads to fever, inappetance, and bloody diarrhea. Even if the puppy had started the vaccine schedule for dogs but was not through with it, it is susceptible. Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and German shepherd breeds or mixes seem especially susceptible it it can happen to any breed. I hope this helps. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pup was aix breed and only weighed 2lbs
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

So small at 6 mo old. There could have been a congenital abnormality with the puppy. Or it ate something it shouldn't have and had an intestinal blockage...or intestinal parasites could have caused a gut rupture. These are all other possibilities besides parvo. Again...depending on your vet, you may be able to get a postmortem exam done to tell you what happened.