Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is sick and I need an answer now

Customer Question

my dog is sick and I need an answer now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get an answer but I would like to try to help if Fiona is still feeling ill.

If this is a minor digestive disturbance, common in younger dogs because they will ingest anything, the treatment is as follows:

Fast Fiona for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Fiona Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the illness has resolved, then wean Fiona back onto regular food. If the illness persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Fiona to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****