Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a oval shaped lesion with a black dot in the

Customer Question

my dog has a gray oval shaped lesion with a black dot in the middle on her belly near her back leg - she is constantly licking - what is this and how should i treat it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this lesion to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I believe you're seeing an epidermal collarette which is a roughly circular skin lesion most often indicative of a Staphyloccocal infection. These start out as pustules and spread out in a circular manner. The center quiets down and hyperpigments while the rim of the collarette remains inflamed and actively infected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added picture. It has gotten worse and appears to be a sore, that it concave and appears read around the gray

Oh my. Is that ointment you've applied or is that pus? There appears to be a nasty ulcer under the ointment? discharge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have not applied anything - so it must be pus - what can be done to treat it - shw wont stop licking it

You'll need her vet's help. That's an unusual skin lesion to appear suddenly. I'm too far away to diagnose it properly. For now you can cleanse the area with over the counter Hebiclens (chlorhexidine) and you'll need to apply an E-collar or neck brace available in pet stores to keep her away from the lesion.