Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been itching s eyes alot, by rolling in the grass

Customer Question

hi my dog has been itching his eyes alot, by rolling in the grass and his paws, Its seems to be effecting his vision. Doesnt want to open eyes all the way and alot of mucus around eye Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any changes to the eyeballs themselves?

Any swelling of the face?

What dose of Benadryl are you giving? How often? How much does he weigh?

What color is that mucus?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a few weeks he has been itching. lately it seem to effect his vision. eyeball question, seems redder than normal, No swelling in face @ 25 mg of benadrl, just started last night.... he walked into a tree this morning very concerned. he weights 65 lbs. Mucus is green in nature
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If the eyes seem redder, are you also seeing any haze or cloudiness on the cornea (clear cover over the eye)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok start communication
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since you haven't answered my second question, I suspect you have missed it above. I was asking about haze/clouding of the cornea since we can see corneal ulcers/trauma as underlying issues for situations of this nature. And while allergies could have triggered this all off, I do have to warn you that green mucus is a sign of bacterial conjunctivitis . Therefore, antihistamines alone are unlikely to clear this. ...

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

With all of that in mind, there are some supportive care steps you can take just now to try and reduce his signs. To start, if he has been rubbing for a few weeks, we can manage mild allergies with antihistamines like Benadryl. That said, the dose you have been giving is much too low to be effective for a dog his size. In fact, the dosing range 32.5-130mg every 8-12 hours. So, you need to adjust this...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the second question no haze over his cornea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Furthermore, since we have an eye infection, we need to address that as well. Therefore, for the moment, you can help his body fight that infection by flushing the eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This can be done 2-3 times a day and will help flush the bacteria and infection from the eye. Of course, further to that, we'd need to have his local vet dispense a prescription antibiotic eye drop to completely clear the infection. And if he has been rubbing and bumped a tree (so corneal damage is a real concern), the vet can stain the eye to assess any damage that may need to be treated as well.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Overall, I am glad there is no corneal haze but based on what you have reported, this sounds like a primary allergy issue that has managed to progress to a bacterial infection of the eyes. Therefore, we want to adjust your supportive care here but will likely need antibiotics to clear that green bacterial induced discharge and infection.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)