Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got a bath tonight and he will not open s eyes

Customer Question

My dog got a bath tonight and he will not open his eyes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In these situations, the most common reason to see eye squinting and closure post bath is when the shampoo has gotten into their eyes. This can be quite irritating but we can even see corneal ulcers secondary to some products and any rubbing of the eyes. Therefore, if Baby Boy still has his eyes closed despite your rinsing, you need to repeat that for longer. Ideally, we flush the eyes with cool water or saline for at least 15 minutes to remove any lingering material irritating the eye. You can also follow this with artificial tears (avoid any that are listed to "get the red out") to soothe the eyes.

If he is still sore afterwards, then we'd need to consider having him seen by his vet. They can stain the eye to check for an ulcer. If present, then he may need to be started on eye drops to heal the ulcer +/- dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce swelling, soreness, and discomfort for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you off to rinse some more.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action just now. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby Boy. How is everything going?
nekovet