Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our puppy is a lab/retriever mix and is 7 months old. How

Customer Question

Our puppy is a lab/retriever mix and is 7 months old. How much food per day is recommended for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I'm going to need some more information:

What does she weigh?

What are you feeding?

How many calories per cup are in the food?

Is she eating well and gaining weight normally? Or is she too thin or too heavy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She currently weighs 32 lbs. We're feeding her about 2 cups, twice each day; a mixture of cooked white rice with Kibbles and Bits, the Kibbles and Bits has 330 calories per cup. She does eat very well and empties her bowl. Her size right now appears to be just right. We've only had her for a month. She was from a Rescue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, she is about 20 inches at the shoulders. We use 1 cup of rice with her Kibbles and Bits.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

I would switch her food. You want her on a puppy diet. Kibbles and bits is not for puppies. There are many options- Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro, Natural Balance, Pro Plan.

Depending on the food, there will be a feeding recommendation on the bag. This is based on the weight of the dog and age of the dog. It'll have a chart that tells you exactly how many cups to feed each day. You should split that into 2 feedings.

I would not give any other food with it- ie white rice. That is not necessary, and it can throw off the percentages of carbs, protein, fat and fiber in the diet. These large breed puppy diets are formulated to meet her needs. The big reason we feed this is to prevent hip dysplasia and joint disease. Many of these joint diseases are due to feeding a diet that is not properly balanced when it comes to calcium and phosphorous. Kibbles and bits is not formulated to meet the needs of a growing puppy. She's definitely at risk for developing hip dysplasia. Switching her to the proper diet will help prevent that.

Here is a nice link on feeding large breed puppies:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3501

and

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1916

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help. If I use this site again (I'm sure that I will) I'll ask for you. Good night
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. I'd be happy to help any time.

Take care.