Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our lab was vomiting days then got better. Then got diarrhea

Customer Question

Our lab was vomiting for three days then got better. Then got diarrhea for a day that went away has normal stools now. He is still vomiting yellow phlegm on and off. Nose is cold to the touch he has been a little mopey. He is not shaking anymore but not eating well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog. Can you please tell me his name?

Just type in what you want to say then click REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question about your puppy's limp. I'm so sorry I missed the chance to have a live conversation with you and answer your question.
I will opt out now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online. Then you will be able to get the information you are looking for.
Thank you

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm sorry that we missed you last night. I hope that your pup is feeling better today!

When I see young dogs who have vomiting and diarrhea todether, I think about infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or (less likely) foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

How is he doing today?

~Dr. Sara