Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My female boston terrier is 10yo. She has been healthy most

Customer Question

my female boston terrier is 10yo. She has been healthy most of time. Two days ago, she refuses food, is in slow motion, and does not want to walk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Conchi is not feeling well. When I hear a dog is drinking more water, is lethargic, and refusing food the top two concerns are diabetes and kidney changes. I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to differentiate from the two because they both require different therapies. Your vet can start with an exam, urine evaluation to look for concentration of urine, protein in urine, as well as any glucose to indicate diabetes but a blood panel may also be necessary to get answers

Both of these conditions (along with other causes such as Cushing's disease, a urinary tract infection, bladder stones) all are treatable once diagnosed but if it is diabetes or kidney disease time is of the essence to ensure quality of life and return her to full health asap.

There is no home therapy for either of these conditions. You can collect a fresh urine sample at home in a tupperware container to bring with you (fresh or refrigerated) to minimize her "pokes" but I would strongly advise her to be seen with these symptoms, her breed and her age

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!