Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Theres a hole in my dogs anus wall leading to the out side

Customer Question

Theres a hole in my dogs anus wall leading to the out side of his body and the poop wont let it heal is there any thing i can or a vet can so.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a hole in my basset hounds anus wall leading to the out side of his body and the poop wont let it heal is there any thing i can do or a vet can do to heal him
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Flash's situation with this wound / sore. How long has this hole / sore been there? Is he still eating and drinking well?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you went off line so I thought I'd send some information here and then you can write back when you read it. When every I hear about a hole next to a dog's anus that isn't healing well, an anal gland abscess is a very good possibility. This is where an anal gland is blocked up and then ruptures and gets infected. This is something that a veterinarian can absolutely help out with. They can flush the duct open and the abscess and then get him on oral antibiotics to allow this to heal. Here is a great link on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu61sqnkVLM

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Flash. How is everything going?