Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Have you not read my question?
, There are no more

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** ***** you not read my question?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There are no more details other than what i've provided. I just don't understand why my bordercollie would react when his paws were touched [reflexively pull back] when he was paralyed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes if i understand correctly i will pay under $19.00 for an answer if i wait for a bit - how long might that be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't see a posted question and so I'll need you to repost it. To answer you directly from what I've read so far...a response to a toe pinch is a reflex governed by the nerves that ascend/descend (the "reflex arc") to his spinal cord. This occurs independent of paralysis to that limb which is likely to be the result of nerve damage in his spinal cord rather than those involved in the "reflex arc". He doesn't even need to be conscious for the reflex arc to be stimulated.