Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Salkin :) We took Noble's splint off last week

Customer Question

Hi again, Dr. Salkin :) We took Noble's splint off last week Tuesday as he wasn't weight bearing on it at all and was in obvious distress with the splint. When we took it off we found two sores of about a dime size that were open and infected. I cleaned
them with prepodyne and used some hibitane cream on the sores. I bandaged him back up with gauze over the sores and then vet wrap to his wrist joint only. He had 4 weeks of the big splint that went up to his elbow/shoulder area and 1 week of the bandage up
to his wrist. We are keeping him very quiet. With short walks to go to the bathroom only. He is weight bearing on his paw but still limping at times. I am wondering if I have to take him in to get it resplinted in the full leg splint after the sores are healed?
Or can I just keep him as is? His sores have responded very well and only had a little bit of infection on the bandage when I last changed it. I have been cleaning it every 36 hours but wonder if I should do it more frequently? I can send pictures if you think
that would be useful?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'd be pleased to take a look at photos. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. It sounds like you're doing a nice job, however. It's unlikely that any splinting would be more helpful than a hindrance at this late date. A padded bandage (Robert-Jones) should suffice and such a bandage can be applied at his vet hospital and you can watch and learn how it's done so you could continue bandaging at home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I will take some photo's and send them. Is the Robert-Jones bandage the very heavy bandage that goes up to the elbow?

There are small, medium, and large Robert-Jones bandages predicated upon what we need to cover and protect. Basically, they just provide comfortable padding.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Noble. How is everything going?