Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini Sheltie has been throwing up since Sunday. She is

Customer Question

HI, my mini Sheltie has been throwing up since Sunday. She is hacking/coughing then she vomits a thick, clear mucus. She is still eating and drinking water. I have been giving her white rice with chicken broth and sugar water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Do you only notice the vomiting after she has been coughing/hacking?

Does she ever seem nauseated or have any abdominal contractions or retching before vomiting, or is it just coughing and hacking?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is vomiting some after hacking. It is worse after she eats or drinks. I'm not seeing any contractions after vomiting. She kinda continues to cough or hack a little after vomiting. She doesn't have diarrhea that I've seen. She hasn't pooped today yet. Her nose is dripping a little. She seems to be okay when she's sleeping. When she moves around the couching /hacking gets a little worse. Her vomit is clear, a little thick, and slimy. She's up to date on her shots. Also I do have her contained to my guest bathroom, I do have 2 dogs, a pom and chihuahua. Should I be concerned for them?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. My suspicion is that she is not vomiting at all. It sounds like what you are seeing is fluid and mucus (expectorant) from the respiratory tract. Expectorant usually looks like that. Vomiting doesn't. You usually see retching and abdominal contractions with vomiting as well. If you are only seeing it after her coughing/hacking, that is what it is. Now, it is possible that it could be an upper respiratory infection or a bacterial pneumonia, since it has been a more recent occurrence. Given her age, a chronic bronchitis is the most common cause, although heart problems and lung tumors are very likely. Less likely would be lung worms or a fungal pneumonia. Any of the infectious problems would be more of a concern for the other dogs. I would have your vet listen to her heart and lungs and get an x-ray of the chest. At the very least, they can try her on some antibiotics and cough medication. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.