Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I brought my 13 year old beagle to the vet today with a

Customer Question

I brought my 13 year old beagle to the vet today with a severely bloated stomach, they checked the fluid and diagnosed her with cancer of unknown origin or type and told us we have days left with her. She's so lively and active that it's really hard to take, is there anyway to relieve the fluid in her belly without draining it to get her more time and quality?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am so sorry to hear about Lucy and her cancer. That is good though t hat she is lively and active. Hopefully she can prove them wrong and have more than a few days left with you all. The only way to remove the fluid in her belly is to have your vet physically drain it. This process is fairly painless and can provide her with some good comfort and would be worth doing to give her more comfort. No medications will help remove the fluid once it is outside the organs and in the belly space itself. That is why it has to be drained physically. But the comfort that removing the fluid could provide is worth it. Its important to give her the best time left no matter how much time is left. Draining it could give her those extra days with you since she will be happier and be able to breath easier because the fluid wont be pressed on the diaphragm and it she will keep eating because the fluid wont be pressing on the tummy. So definitely discuss this with your vet. If you have any doubts or concerns do not be afraid to get a second opinion. Again I am very sorry to hear this and her comfort and happiness is most important.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then you think the draining would be a good idea? My vet said she would might loose all of her electrolytes and nutrients. What are your thought? Thank you

I do not necessarily agree with that. If the fluids are making her uncomfortable then enough can be removed to make her more comfortable. You do not necessarily have to remove them all at one time. If she is continuing to eat and drink well then her body should be able to keep up with electrolytes and nutrition. The possibility of making her more comfortable is what is most important. So again if enough of the fluids are removed to make her comfortable this should not shock the system and make her feel better. Its a rock and hard place because if you do not remove the fluid she will not feel good and will be uncomfortable but if you remove the fluid she can have comfortable time left but there is a small risk of her body not handling the draining of the fluid well. Again that chance is small and even smaller if you don't do all the fluid at once.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am always happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead