Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 year old beagle has a problem with s back legs. He

Customer Question

my 12 year old beagle has a problem with his back legs. He seems to have lost control with them. It reminds me of a human with ceribal paulsy (sp?) when the legs drag behind this came on rather suddenly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he dragging his back legs?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms just dragging the back legs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he able to support weight on the back legs?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- This came on quickly, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can walk but with difficulty. The back legs give out. He drags them and walks sideways this did come on rather suddenly but in the last week or so he did seem to have pain with the FRONT leg. Also he yelped in pain when no one was touching him and he was lying down. But again the legs misfunction was sudden
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the symptoms and history that you are describing in your dog are consistent with a possible pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, the disc is placing pressure on the nerve (spinal cord) and interfering with the motor function of the back legs. This condition is actually an emergency, the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will recover. Treatment involves the use of prescription anti inflammatory medications and pain killers. In some cases we need to do surgery. Could this be related to something else? Yes, there could hips disorders, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc.

I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight to start him on medications. Otherwise, follow up with family vet first thing in the morning. Do not give over the counter pain killers as this will interfere with certain medication the attending veterinarian may need to use.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter