Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 5 year old dachshund, always a picky eater, is turning

Customer Question

My 5 year old dachshund, always a picky eater, is turning her nose up at her regular food, but eating snacks (carrots, occasional piece of cheese) and playing. No vomiting, no diarreah
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is not unusual for dogs that get spoiled by snacks and human food. The best thing you can do is find a homemade dog food that has the things that your gal likes to eat and stick with that. If she will nto eat it after awhile, don't change it. She will eat when she gets hungry enough. I know this may sound cruel but she has you jumping through hoops. I have a dog that is a rescue and similar....I feed a homemade diet and if he does not eat this after 15 minutes, I take it up and put it back in the refrigerator until the next meal when he will finally eat this. You have to change the cycle for your sweet girl so she will eat what you can give her.

This LINK has homemade foods that your gal may like.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Doctor.

You are very welcome!! You are not alone...this is a common problem but behavioral and not medical. Good luck!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband says I worry about my wiener more than him; this is actually true. LOL
Thanks; she has an appointment with our vet for tomorrow because I'm a psycho, but I do feel better having spoken to you.

It is good to have your gal checked by your vet just to be sure that there is not a medical cause...having ruled this out, then you can make a plan...Good luck! We always worry about our babies!! You are not alone...LOL!!!