Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6 month yorkie-poo she wont stop biting and licking

Customer Question

I have a 6 month yorkie-poo she wont stop biting and licking at the base of her tail now she is bald there and seems to be getting worse we put some advantix on her about a week and a half ago thinking maybe fleas we do not know what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plus she has scabs and little bumps all over her butt
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if she is targeting her tail base, the I agree that flea allergy dermatitis is very likely here. That said, it is important to know that treating for fleas is only part of the battle when addressing these situations. You need to also address the allergic irritation. Now if those bumps are flesh colored, they'll be part of the allergic reaction to the flea saliva from being bit. But if those bumps look like pimples, then she has a secondary bacterial infection of the skin that needs antibiotics from her vet to clear (if there are just a few, then salt water bathing them can help too).

As long as they are not pimples or in the meantime until you see her vet about an infection, you can try to reduce her irritation by treating with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. As well, using emollient shampoos (ie Episoothe, oat meal based) can also soothe the skin topically.

Overall, the area where she is chewing/licking is characteristic of flea allergy dermatitis. You were right to treat against fleas but also need to treat for the ongoing irritation from previous exposure. So, do consider the above for your lass. But if she is severely affected or we have pimples/pustules; then we'd want to also see her vet for antibiotics +/- a short course of steroids to nip this in the bud for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet