Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My two labs are having constant issues with ear hemotomas.

Customer Question

My two labs are having constant issues with ear hemotomas. They both have environmental allergies that occasionally flare up. Then the head shaking begins, thus the hemotomas. My husband left me three years ago and financially I am strapped. I manage to buy them special food but can't afford a vet bill right now. They've been on prednisone before and I was hoping I could order some for them online. I don't want to allow their ears to cauliflower. My ex did that when he had them and I feel it's cruel. Can you offer any help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Unfortunately, we are able to call in prescriptions for clients because this site does not allow for a valid client patient relationship. In other words, because we cannot meet you and your pet in person and examine your pet we cannot prescribe medicines. But we can give general advice and I do believe I can help you alot with this.

First, Labs do get enviromental allergies but I can tell you after 25 years in practice that your dogs have food allergy as their primary problem. So lets talk about that first. The primary area of a dog's body affected by food allergy is the ears and the ears suffer very badly like you have described. I don't know what you are feeding but here is what you can do. Get both your dogs on wellness Simple solutions venison and rice dog food. Do not give them flavored heartworm prevention. You would need Heartgard plain tablets for them which you can get from a vet or online with your vet's prescription. Also do not give any table food or treats of any kind EVER. Your dog's will get better on that food. It will probably take 6 months for you to see a difference. In the meantime you can also give them benedryl for environmental allergies, but the FOOD is your main culprit. The dose for benedryl is 1 mg per pound twice daily. For example, if your dog weighs 50 pounds then they would get 50 mg twice daily, etc. Or if you dog is 75 pounds then give them 75 mg twice daily.

Now for the ears, you can get Zymox enzymatic ear solution from DRs Foster and Smith and you can use that everyday twice daily. It has hydrocortisone in it and will help your dogs. If you do all I have said consistently for 4 months you will start to see a big difference.

I hope this helps you and please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated for the work I do. Thank you very much. Also if you have follow up questions, I will get back to you tonight. Sincerely, DRB