Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has very rapid shallow breathing when she's at rest.

Customer Question

My dog has very rapid shallow breathing when she's at rest. We took her to the vet where they took chest X-rays and did blood work. It all came back normal. Should I still be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Zoey's behavior has been deemed abnormal by her vet yet X-rays and blood work have been deemed normal either the blood work and/or X-rays have been misinterpreted or advanced diagnostics are necessary. Can you upload a copy of Zoey's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. In addition, her X-rays should be reviewed by a specialist veterinary radiologist whom most of us use to detect changes we might miss. There might be a small fee for this service but it's a valuable service to take advantage of. In general, a respiratory rate at rest greater than 40 breaths per minute is abnormal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I've attached the test results from my vet. Also, I should mention that Zoey is on prednisone for her severe allergies.Thank you,
Jackie

Thank you for the additional information. Steroids such as prednisone can cause respiratory muscle weakening resulting in a compensatory increased respiratory rate. There is a 2+ proteinuria in well-concentrated urine. That amount of protein loss may or may not be significant in such concentrated urine and so a urine protein:creatinine ratio is recommended to be performed in order to quantify Zoey's proteinuria. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey. How is everything going?