Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog ate dental floss; not much, about 18" of it. Do I

Customer Question

My dog ate dental floss; not much, about 18" of it. Do I need to take her to an emergency vet or just watch her stool? Any steps I can take if not emergency care?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The biggest risk associated with ingestion of a string-type foreign body is that a portion of the string will become anchored somewhere within the digestive tract. If the string becomes anchored, than the normal peristaltic (squeezing) motion of the gut can result in the string sawing into the bowel wall, potentially cutting a hole in it

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If no vomiting and within the one to two hour window you should elect to seek a veterinary er that can give stronger medications to induce vomiting such as apomorphine.

Signs of illness to monitor for would include:
- Vomiting
- Coughing
- Throat pain
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy
- Blood in the stool
- Straining to defecate without production

That would be more indication to consider x-rays and further evaluation.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 20 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One teaspoon per ten pounds? Do you mean ounces?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Yes one teaspoon per ten pounds so if your dog is 30 pounds then this would be one tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Angie to see how she is doing after ingesting the dental floss yesterday? Were you able to get her to bring it back up?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman