Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My wire haired dachshund, Roxy is 12. Friday I noticed that

Customer Question

My wire haired dachshund, Roxy is 12. Friday I noticed that the pupil in her left eye looked funny and her eye was mattered. The pupil does not react to light. I have also noticed that the sclera is quite red and the eye seems to bulge a little. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I am very concerned. Roxy has had a growth around her left ear for a few years that is slow growing, but is large, soft and moveable. Because it encompasses the ear, our vet didn't want to tackle it. Could it be this mass causing pressure on the eye? What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Thank you for the thorough history and am appreciative of the fact you caught this but I do advise having a veterinary exam asap to ensure that the pressure in that eye is not elevated, an indication of glaucoma. If not caught in time it can lead to blindness due to retinal detachment and this is not reversible. In addition as it progresses it can become quite painful to her.

Very unlikely this is related to the mass on her ear but it is possible. My priority is not losing vision in this eye and I would consider a veterinary er tonight versus waiting until tomorrow. Often regular veterinary clinics do not have tonopens to measure eye pressure where a veterinary er would and beginning treatment asap is key

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I do not intend to frighten you but do want to ensure we do not lose sight in Roxy's eye by delaying medical therapy

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Roxy to see if you were able to get her seen last night for her eye? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!