Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My doxie has pain in her front left leg shoulder area When i

Customer Question

My doxie has pain in her front left leg shoulder area
When i touch her shoulder area she shakes still walking but she is holding her head low
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

How long has this been doing on for?

If you move her neck up and down and from side to side as far as it will go, it she painful there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started about 3 hrs ago
When i move her head and neck she tightens up but she doesnt seem in pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She went down some up and down some stairs she seemed different after
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I highly suspect that she has a neck injury. Given that Dachshunds are prone to degenerative disk disease and what she was doing when she seemed to get hurt, a herniated disk in the neck is the first thing I would be looking for. The pain can radiate to the limb if it is herniated in that direction. Now, she could have very well just hurt her shoulder or elbow. It would be difficult to say without a full orthopedic exam and potentially an x-ray of the neck and limb. As long as she can walk and rest comfortably, she should be okay to monitor until tomorrow, but I would have your vet check her out. If she really seems like she cannot get comfortable, you can try a cold compress on her shoulder and neck to see if that will help. The only somewhat safe human OTC pain medication you can give dogs is enteric coated aspirin. Even then it can still cause some gastrointestinal problems, such as ulcers and bleeding. Plus, it can limit what your vet can safely prescribe. I don't usually recommend it, unless absolutely necessary. Dosage information is on the website below.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

If she really seems restless or cannot walk, then a trip to the emergency vet would be highly recommended. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.