Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I took my dog to the groomer today she called me and told me

Customer Question

I took my dog to the groomer today she called me and told me his pienswas out it still is what can I do .he is acting normal peeing ok but iam sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to your Snickers!

I can give you some basic guidelines to try to reduce this occurrence but if it continues then he should be seen by your veterinarian or a veterinary er because this can affect his ability to urinate and can become an emergency.

This condition is called paraphimosis or inability to contract the penis. Below is a link to information on this condition in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs

Recommendations include:

- No licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can result in a urinary tract infection
- Using KY jelly or vaseline to lubricate the penis and attempt putting it back into the sheath or prepuce
- If this is successful, pinching the foreskin over the penis for a few moments to ensure it doesn't recur
- If not successful and the penis is swollen you can use granulated sugar to draw out the moisture then retry the lubrication in hopes of retracting the penis

Again if this continues I would advise a veterinary exam so they can help return the penis to the sheath. If left exposed and not maintain a moist environment it can lead to necrosis or dying of the exposed tissue and in severe cases amputation.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope this resolves soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Snickers. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman