Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is vomiting mucus thick and and blood. I got it under

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting mucus thick and and blood. I got it under control. He has not vomited for 9 hours now. What could of it been?.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- How old is your dog?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 16 pounds and 10 years old. He has had pancreatitis before but that was six years ago
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him Pepcid last night and that helped stop the vomiti
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the mucus is a sign of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. The presence of blood suggest there is something damaging the wall of either the esophagus, stomach or first part of the small intestines. Common causes are: Ulcers, infections, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need xrays and blood work by family vet as initial screening test. In the meantime, keep him on the Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. In addition, change his diet to a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him Pepcid last night he seems better today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Great, keep him on the pepcid ac as described above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I give him for diarihia
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I didn't know she had diarrhea, I am sorry. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol it will make the bleeding worst. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter