Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate 1 core apple yesterday and 2 today. It was stupid

Customer Question

My dog ate 1 core apple yesterday and 2 today. It was stupid mistake that my dog got his mouth on. I am terrified.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How big was the core?

2- How much does Ollie weigh?

3- Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were the carmels you get the nuts. I would say medium. He is approximately 40lbs. He has been barking but his typical self. I am scared because that is three apples total.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is very likely he will be able to pass whatever he doesn't digest in the stool. If the core had seeds you will read about the seeds having cyanide. But, really this is not a concern as they will need to open the seed which they never do, and the amount is so small that it is not clinically relevant. So, the main concern would be the possibility of an obstruction which in a 40 lbs Ollie very likely he will pass it in the stool. No need to be terrified. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the core out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
2- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter