Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 8year old mastiff mix that has developed sores on s

Customer Question

I have a 8year old mastiff mix that has developed sores on his paws....that are swollen and look red and raw from licking....he also has scabs and bumps all under his coat which he also shedding more than usual as well as heavy dandruff....lastly he has numerous pimples all around his mouth.....would appreciate a answer letting me know what you think and what kind of meds can i buy to treat the symptoms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been going on for about a month..he is on no medication....no previous medical issues and weighs 120 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, what you are describing in Dozer is consistent with pododermatitis which basically means inflammation of the paws. The skin in his body being affected suggest that this could be related to an infection, underlying allergies, etc.

Dozer will benefit from oral prescription medication (antibiotics, anti inflammatory, etc.) from family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. No people food. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. For treats you can give veggies like: Baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

2- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 5 tablets every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

For his paws this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak his paws for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.

3- After soaking paws apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dozer. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter