Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a small terrier type dog that I purchased from the

Customer Question

I have a small terrier type dog that I purchased from the dog pound about 6 weeks ago. She's very frisky and acts ok but she's starting to lose lots of hair all over her body mainly in her face and head area. What could be causing this No No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together :)

There are many causes of hair loss in young dogs but the primary rule out is a demodex mite. CLICK HERE for more information. The good news is it is not contagious but does require veterinary attention to diagnose and treat the condition

Second would be ringworm, less likely sarcoptes mites which cause increased itchiness and scabbing, food allergies, or even a more rare alopecia or hair loss condition that requires biopsies to diagnose.

I would advise taking photos of her head now so that we can monitor for progression of signs but I would advise some skin scrapes to rule out demodex which is the most common cause in a young healthy dog that is not demonstrating increased itching.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been itching ever since I got her..I even took her back to the pound and the vet said it was dry skin..so I bathed her in the shampoo they recommended..the hair loss just started last week..I feed her good puppy food and she eats very well..The hair loss isn't in patches more like thinning. Especially around 1 eye..I just has surgery and can't get out..She also sleeps with me..is that a problem I should worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

When we have sarcoptes mange they are 10/10 itching (1 is not at all and 10 meaning they cannot stop even for a second) and very very uncomfortable.

I would still have demodex as a top differential but now put food allergies higher on my list of possibilities

Things you can do
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for the itch
- Fish oil(###) ###-####mg EPA & DHA daily but this will take 2-4 weeks to have a positive effect
- Ensure there are no by products in her diet by reviewing the bag and if so changing to a higher quality, human grade ingredient diet only

If it is a food allergy it will require a food allergy trial with a veterinary formulated food that has hydrolyzed proteins, in essence the protein is broken down beyond the point of the body being able to recognize the protein and they cannot have anything but the food during the trial which can be 2-3 month period. It is challenging but I would advise a skin scrape first and foremost above what I listed

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!