Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our dog has a tooth that turned last night and had diarrhea

Customer Question

Our dog has a tooth that turned green last night and had diarrhea this morning. She was moaning while she had diarrhea.
Left a message for our vet at his home. I know she needs an antibiotic and I have Amoxicillin here at home.
Can I give her some until we can see the vet tomorrow morning?
Zoey is an Australian Cattle Dog and is 6 years old. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I ma so sorry that Zoey is not feeling well. It is hard to know what has caused the diarrhea...it may be the tooth that is abscessing or something odd that she may have ingested. The best thing to do for her now is to follow these instructions:

Fast Zoey for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give Imodium AD available at the pharmacy over the counter at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean Zoey onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine her. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. I would hesitate, at this point to recommend giving the Amoxicillin since we do not know that this is due to an infectious process. Let your vet decide this for you.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think she already has an infection. Will try the Imodium AD.Thanks!

Good for you! This is your best treatment at this time until your vet can examine sweet Zoey.