Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ( cavalier) has a murmur and it is bad she was

Customer Question

hi there...my dog (king charles cavalier) has a murmur and it is bad she was scarred at the groomers and then started breathing funny..a bit of hacking. took her to the vet and they said that her heart has progress into a pretty bad case of mitral valve disease..they gave here some lasix and put her some heart medication "Vetmedn" (I think) and we monitored her for a week. She was doing fine...then her blood work came back with good results and they put her on another heart med. that they give humans...1 1/2 tabs 2x day...which I think sounds like a lot but I am not a vet:) She is experience really bad dry mouth and I am wondering if we could tapper back from the lasix a bit? she takes 2 a day one with each meal....any thoughts? like a full one during day and half in evening? She peed the bed and this is another concern with the dose? she is almost 9 yrs old... thank you
Brian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does Moki weigh?

How much Lasix is she on at the moment (milligrams)?

Do you know what the third medication is? If you can list it and the milligrams then I can work the dose out to confirm it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there and thank you....Moki is around 14lbs, the third med. is enalapril 2.5 mg one and a 1/2 pills every 12 hours. the lasix is 12.5mg 2x day every 12 hours (sometimes we are giving every 10 or 11 depending on when she wakes up and eats dinner. The vetmedin is 1.25 mg (1 and a 1/2 tab every 12 hrs per day). I am noticing that she is really drinking a ton of water and had a little accident in the bed last night, she also has really bad dry mouth-which I do not like and is very unlike her...I am very meticulous with her always and worry about her a ton! She is our baby as we do not have children..she is our child:) lol so i am just concerned and want her to be okay. I was also wondering if you could share some of your experiences with cases like this with King Charles....with her condition. Our vet said 1-3 years which is sad but just wanted to hear another vets perspective?
Thanks,
Brian
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Brian.

First, if Moki is on 1.5x 2.5mg Enalapril, that dose is not one we'd be worried about. In fact, she can have nearly double that if she needed to. So, no worries there.

Now her increased thirst and accidents will be related to the Lasix. It is a diuretic and is working to pull fluid leaked from her circulation (secondary to her heart condition) out of the lungs where its not supposed to be and passes it as urine. And as fluid is lost, this triggers her thirst. Now in regards ***** ***** dose, it is a very high one for a dog her size. In this case and since she has had a 3rd medication added in, I would advise it best to ring her vet and discuss weaning her down to 1.5 tablets in the morning and 2 at night. Or potentially trying her on a lower dose every 8 hours (to give a more even dosing and less large bolus type doses to reduce her accidents and even out her thirst). The reason is because I suspect their addition of the Enalapril along with the Vetmedin are their trying to improve her heart function to reduce her leaking of fluid (and thus allowing her to reduce her lasix because of that). So, under the circumstances with Moki, I'd not just change that at home at this point and instead ring them as it sounds like this may be part of their game plan for her just now anyway.

Finally, heart disease and long term prognoses in this breed do vary by how quickly progressive their individual condition is. Generally speaking, I see a lot of mitral valve regurgitation in this breed and if we can stabilize them (with Vetmedin and Enalapril +/- the lasix), they do tend to do quite well (better then other breeds with heart conditions). So, while I have seen a few only respond to their heart treatments for months to a year, most others that have done for 3-5 years (and I have a few even longer). So, it is a manageable condition for many of them once we get over the bumpy road of stabilization at this point.

Take care,

Dr. B.