Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I took my dog to the vet on Tuesday September 22 because he

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet on Tuesday September 22 because he had had diarrhea. The vet prescribed him Fenbenbazole and Celera. The next day the diarrhea had stopped and he hadn't vomit at all so I did not give him the medication. He was eating normally until last Thursday when the diarrhea came back. After having him fasting for 24 hours, I gave him Purina Proplan EN mixed with Fortiflora probiotics and he seemed to tolerate it. His stool got a little more consistent even though it was still bland. So I though he was getting better. On Saturday I took him to groom and when we came back, the diarrhea was back. It has not stopped. This morning he vomited at approximately 7:30 AM. I gave him the Celera. Twenty minutes after, he coughed or vomited a white foamy gel like substance. I cannot tell if he vomited or coughed because I did not see him doing it. I have the prescribed medications but I want to know if I can give them on his empty stomach or if it will make it worse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for these problems that you're having with Rainbow. I do have a few questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. I can't find the drug Celera in my database. Could this perhaps be "Cerenia"?

2. How many days did you give the Fenbendazole?

3. Is he lethargic?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The medicine is Cerenia. I have not given him the Fenbendazole yet. He is not lethargic. Sorry for the mistake and thank you for answering so fast. I am very concerned.
Carmen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking if boiled chicken breast with rice could help him. What o you suggest for feeding?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Glad to be able to help.

And, thanks for the clarification about the drugs.

I can understand the difficulty you've having in trying to decide if he's vomiting or coughing. It sounds more like a cough to me but, again, I can't entirely know for sure.

It's possible that his intermittent diarrhea issues are secondary to internal parasites which is why your vet dispensed Fenbendazole (an excellent wormer, by the way). It's also possible that he's picked up a viral or bacterial infection or even IBD might explain his symptoms or stress from the groomers.

But, regardless, I do have a few suggestions which, hopefully, will help:

1. Cerenia doesn't need to be given on an empty stomach. It's a very potent anti-nausea medication and I often use it for my vomiting patients, although not ones with loose stool issues. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which can be quite helpful.

Most dogs tolerate this drug very well but diarrhea is listed as one of the possible side effects. In a situation like this, it may be difficult to know if the diarrhea is secondary to a drug reaction or not.

I might continue to monitor the situation for now to determine if he's actually vomiting (if he has another episode) or if he's coughing. If the former, then I'd give it but if the latter, I wouldn't.

2. A bland diet such as you mentioned wouldn't be a bad idea. My ratio is 1 part boiled, skinless, chicken breast (or lean hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute boiled white rice, small amounts through the day.

The EN is a good food as well but I might consider the bland diet.

However, I'd let things settle down for now. I wouldn't offer him any food for 8-12 hours from now. I'd let him drink small amount of water (or pedialyte) but only small amounts at one time.

3. Continue the probiotics.

4. If it's clear that he's not vomiting and he's eating, then dose him with Fenbendazole. I assume you have three days worth which is the usual amount dispensed. If he has internal parasites, his diarrhea issues may not totally resolve until he's wormed.

You don't have to give this drug with food but I typically recommend that you do.

I hope this helps. Deb

I

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rainbow. How is he doing since we last communicated? Deb