Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 12-yr-old Bassett hound was eating a pancake, then at a

Customer Question

Our 12-yr-old Bassett hound was eating a pancake, then at a handful of bacon strips. I went inside but realized "Tyson" was barking in distress. When I went back out to see to him, he was in distress -- hacking, seeming to try to throw up. After giving him hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up-- he coughed up saliva, but still distressed. 12 hours later, he is now in discomfort, trying to bark but hoarse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I believe that you're concerned that there's still food lodged in Tyson's oropharynx (back of his throat) causing his distress. While that was likely when he ingested the bacon strips, his hoarseness at this time is more likely to be due to his bringing up stomach acid which then irritates and swells the oropharynx resulting in such hoarseness. This is the same situation as is seen in people suffering from GERD/acid reflux/heartburn. Dosing Tyson with an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb twice 12 hours apart or omeprazole (Prilosec) at 20 mg once should be helpful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. So far, Tyson already seems a bit less distressed. We'll continue this treatment and rest easier now that he is. God bless you! Be back in touch if any further problems.

You're quite welcome. My best to Tyson! I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tyson. How is everything going?