Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 11 year old Pomeranian/ dog started sneezing yesterday a

Customer Question

our 11 year old Pomeranian/king Charles dog started sneezing yesterday a lot and stopped barking. This dog always usually barks. Looks like she is open mouth breathing. Eats, drinks but is just not right
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does she have any nasal discharge? If so, what color and is it from one or both nostrils?

Does she sound stuffed up, congested, or wheezing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds wheezing a little. some discharge from nose I think. Licking it a lot. Still pretty frisky. Sneezing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
eating and drinking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last night she sneezed many times in a short period of time. I got home at 10pm. She usually barks until I give her a treat. Didn't make a sound other than sneezing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
opening and closing her mouth while breathing. Tongue comes out a little each time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on Enaiapril 2.5 mg Lasix 5mg 2x a day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Let me review your replies here and I will post my full thoughts as one post.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now you did not provide any information on her gum color or breathing rate as I requested; I would note that if her breathing rate is >30 breaths per minute or those gums paler then usual, we'd be wary of a possible distress/compromise with her breathing and want her seen urgently.

Otherwise, based on the signs you are reporting (ie wheezing, nasal discharge, sneezing), this sounds like a non-cardiac respiratory tract infection. It sounds to be upper respiratory based but if it is really affecting her breathing, then a degree of pneumonia is also a concern. And her lack of bark could be due to her focus on breathing or could be related to her throat being sore.

In this case, since she has a heart condition, we do need to tread with care. Again if that rate is elevated or her gums are pale, we'd want her seen urgently as she may need oxygen. Otherwise, I would note some supportive care that we can use to try to ease her breathing. To start,

you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her upper airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, andthen cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.

As well, if she is snotty then you can flush out her nostrils by using OTC saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated). To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril if both are affected. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.

Overall, her signs sound most suspicious of a respiratory tract infection. Still, if she is struggling to breathe, then we'd need to treat this as an urgent situation. So, do consider the above to ease her signs, but if she has any of those more worrying signs I asked about, we'd want her seen urgently so that her vet can put her on oxygen and start injectable antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories and bronchodilators to ease her breathing for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Furla. How is everything going?
nekovet