PATRICK KEITH
PATRICK KEITH,
Experience:  Veterinarian at SPCA
77654230

My dog has blood in the part of s eye. He was outside

Customer Question

My dog has blood in the white part of his eye. He was outside chained because he is an escape artist. My husband is in the hospital and he was outside for a ling while. Can i do something for him at home? I can not afford a vet at this point in time.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. My name if Dr Keith and I would be happy to help you today.

Some of the more benign reasons that dogs can have blood in the white portion of the eye:

1) Direct trauma to eye

2) Rupture of the small blood vessels due to increase in blood pressure

3) Allergies, infection

That being said, it is difficult to make the exact diagnosis without performing an exam. It would be better to not place any medications in the eye without first determining if there is any injury directly to the eye due to trauma. Because of his breed and his facial conformation, Angelo is more prone to eye injuries. I have seen this many, many times in the ER clinic.

If he is outside on a chain, it would be better to use a harness instead of a collar. If he is wearing a collar and constantly pulling on the chain vigorously enough, this can cause the blood vessels in the white portion of the eye to rupture and cause the appearance of blood that you are seeing.

One other thing to consider would be to place him in a kennel to keep in confine instead of placing him on a chain.

Most of the time in the emergency clinic setting that I have seen the symptoms that you are desribing, I do not treat them. I see a lot of dogs with major trauma and often see this type of thing and do not treat the condition.

In this case, it would be better to be conservative and monitor his condition instead of treating him with over the counter eye drops. If his conditions worsens, you may not have a choice but to have someone examine him. If I can help in any other way, please let me know.

I hope that I have been helpful. It is my goal to always provide excellent service. If you could please take the time to give me some feedback so that I may improve my services.

Kind regards,

Dr Keith