PATRICK KEITH
PATRICK KEITH,
Experience:  Veterinarian at SPCA
77654230

I'm mainly curious. I've had a dog who had died of

Customer Question

I'm mainly curious. I've had a dog who had died of congestive heart failure. I now have a 16 yr Llasa Apso who weighs approx 18lbs. She is showing some similar signs that I've dealt with in the past. Currently she is resting with a breathing rate of 30 breaths. When she is awake, I see her have slight difficulty in breathing.... Minimal extension of neck. I want to take her to vet, tomorrow being Sunday and ONLY ER OFFICES are open with extremely high costs.... Is this a case where I could give a tiny dose of lisinoprl to possibly help until Monday or no.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you today.

It is really helpful that you are familiar with the symptoms of heart disease and recognize the condition..

Okay, the quick and dirty answer to your question is that while the drug you want to administer may be appropriate for heart disease, you are going to be hard pressed to find a veterinarian that is going to recommend that you administer such a drug without first seeing your dog in person for an exam.

This is because of professional liability and it is just good medical practice to perform exams before prescribing medications. This is because we need to make sure that the medications are appropriate for the condition that your pet has.

If Dalai is having trouble breathing that is considered an emergency. If her respiratory rate is 30 per minute at rest, I would consider that elevated.

Believe me, I do understand your situation. I have worked in emergency medicine for many years and I know what it costs pet owners to come in to the ER for an exam and diagnostics (blood work and xrays). Money makes decisions in my life as well and I also base my decisions on what certain things cost. I look at it as cost versus benefits.

I know it is a difficult decision to make, but again, as professionals we are not generally going to recommend the adminstration of any medication without an exam. If you truly cannot afford to go to the ER, then it could be that your only option would be to keep her confine, to limit her exercise, and prevent any kind of stress (excitement, climbing stairs) until you can take her to your veterinarian on Monday.

I hope I have helped you to make a decision. I will help you in any other way I can. My goal is to always provide excellent service. If you could, please take the time to write me a review because it helps me to improve my services.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response I highly appreciate your opinion.

If I can help in any other way with this problem or something in the future, please let me know. You can find me here as Dr Patrick. Have a greet week,

Cheers,

Patrick