Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My dog will not eat and barely drinking. She has not thrown

Customer Question

My dog will not eat and barely drinking. She has not thrown up or had diarrhea but what is wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

What color are Marley's gums - pink or pale/white?

Is she having any labored or trouble breathing?

Does she seem uncomfortable when you squeeze her belly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink gums. She was having trouble breathing but seems to be back to normal now. She doesn't seem like it brought her discomfort. She is also having running nose and eyes as well
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Marley is not eating or drinking today. Her symptoms are concerning as I would worry that she may be getting dehydrated. Without examining her, giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult, though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing her symptoms:

- A fever from an infection such as an upper respiratory virus or bacteria

- An upset stomach from ingesting something out of the ordinary or toxic

- A organ disorder such as kidney, liver, or gall bladder disease

- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas

- Unfortunately a mass or tumor could also cause these symptoms

At this point, the best way to determine the exact diagnosis to what is wrong with Marley would be to have your vet examine her. With the exam your vet may be able to narrow down some of the disorders listed though they may recommend checking some blood work for her also. With this information a better treatment recommendation can be given.

I can understand that taking her to a vet on the weekend is not always possible. Therefore if you cannot take her to your vet, I would try to feed her some special foods and liquids to try to encourage her to stay hydrated until you can see your vet. Here are some safe suggestions:

You can feed her some boiled ground beef, chicken, baked fish, a scrambled egg, some cottage cheese, cooked pasta, or even some meat flavored baby food. These are all bland enough that she should not develop an upset stomach. Some good liquids to try would be low sodium chicken or beef broth or even some pedialyte.

If she will not drink anything then you may need to use an oral syringe to give her fluids such as 5-10 cc every 30-60 minutes to keep her hydrated.

Overall, if she continues to not eat or drink then taking her to your vet would be best to help get an exact diagnosis.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.