Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a growing pimple-like sore on s right paw

Customer Question

My dog has a growing pimple-like sore on his right paw
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Paisley has this lump! I can give you basic guidelines for it but if it is not changing or getting bigger then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure it does not require medical management or is something more serious than a possible sore

- No licking! The mouth is full of bacteria and licking can cause inflammation but also an infection where there might not be one. You can use a sock or purchase an e-collar at a local petstore
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo every 12 hours with ten minute contact time before rinsing
- If it is itchy you can also use oral benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours as needed for the itch but this may cause mild sedation
- Photograph the sore with a ruler or coin next to it so that you can monitor it very closely for changes
- I don't tend to use salves or ointments which trap in the moisture and can delay healing. The same with peroxide which has been shown to cause wound or sore healing delays

If there is no change over the weekend then I would advise a veterinary exam on Monday to ensure there is nothing that requires additional treatment such as antibiotics, medicated shampoo, or removal if it is something more aggressive

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!