Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a Newfoundland mix. She seems to have trouble getting

Customer Question

I have a Newfoundland mix. She seems to have trouble getting up. She is very active and is usually bouncey. Can a dog pull a muscle?? Took her and they found nothing on muscle or skeletal exam.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your Newfie cross is having difficulties getting up. It absolutely can be a muscle strain but I also worry about a back injury as well. I imagine your veterinarian did a full neurologic exam as well?

I would consider a veterinary physical therapy consultation to see if there is a more subtle issue that your regular veterinarian missed that requires treatment. Treatment may mean laser (light) therapy, acupuncture, or even pain medications and physical therapy but if she is having difficulty getting up there has to be an underlying cause that has yet to be discovered.

I have referred a client or two to the physical therapist or veterinary orthopedist when there is an issue I cannot get to the bottom of in order to hopefully get that pet more comfortable quickly. I am never offended when an owner does this because I am unsure what the underlying cause is.

Here is a link to veterinary orthopedists in the US: https://online.acvs.org/acvsssa/rflssareferral.query_page?P_VENDOR_TY=VETS

Here is a link to veterinary physical therapists in the US: http://rehabvets.org/Referrals.lasso

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!