Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has runny eyes with some gooey discharge and seems to

Customer Question

My dog has runny eyes with some gooey discharge and seems to be having trouble keeping her balance. She is still eating and drinking ok and I don't think she has a fever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Dottie. Are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'm so sorry Dottie's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

While it's a relief to hear she's still eating and drinking okay, I'm more concerned about the loss of balance. There aren't very many things that will cause that.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
  • How is her energy level?
  • Does she have a history of any other medical problems or take any medications?
  • No vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a little lethargic. She has no history of problems. No vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are her eyes kind of darting quickly back and forth?

Are the pupils equal and symmetrical and responsive (constrict down) to light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her eyes seem to be the same as always.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

That's a relief, too.

Two more things to check, please:

• Is there no sign of her having gotten into anything like trash or garbage or chemicals (assuming she does not roam and otherwise have access to unknown things)?
  • Are her gums a nice pink color

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its possible she could have gotten into something but not probable. She lives in the house with us and only goes out to use the bathroom. Her gums are pink in color and her nose is moist.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Pink gums help to indicate she is not in shock or distress.

When you say she is having a hard time keeping her balance, describe for me what you mean by that. Does she stagger like a drunken sailor? Are he feet knuckling over?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I did not intend to reject your phone call request. Please resubmit your request for a phone call if you would like one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at a public library and my time is about to expire. Can I log back in or something?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You can return to this page at any time, but you need to rate my answer with a good rating.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. My screen says your method of payment has failed. Please contact customer service if you are having difficulties.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I apologize. I was on a phone call. I will OPT OUT now so your question is available to other experts.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today. I am so sorry no one has stepped back in to assist you both. Are you still able to chat about Dottie? Is she more stable since you asked your question? Dr. Jo asked you to describe her loss of balance as a drunk sailor or knuckling over on her feet?

I am online another three hours tonight (barring a short dinner break) and will monitor for additional information...