Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat ate 12.5 mg of rimadyl and .1mg thyroxine about 30

Customer Question

My cat ate 12.5 mg of rimadyl and .1mg thyroxine about 30 minutes ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has answered until now but not many of us are available overnight.

This is a medical emergency. You need to take your cat in to your vet or your closest emergency clinic. There is not a "safe" dose of rimadyl in cats. They are at high risk for kidney failure, stomach ulceration and possibly liver issues. The treatment is intravenous fluids until we feel the kidneys are safe (2-3 days), treatment for any digestive tract issues and possible activated charcoal (too late to induce vomiting). I am not concerned about the thyroxine. This will go through the system quickly. At a minimum have her examined and then her lab work checked to look for liver/kidney problems.

Without treatment or delaying therapy could results in kidney failure, which may not be reversible.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am just following up to find out how everything went for your cat. Please let me know if you have any further questions.