Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My dog is on veterol 20 mg has sores on herr back. she was

Customer Question

My dog is on veterol 20 mg for cushings has sores on herr back. she was on a higher dose but she went down to zero cortisol at 30mg. at 20 she still has symptom but we tested her at 10mg and the dose was inadequate. She gets retested thursday. Dog is almost 13 border collie or sheltie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of the problems you're experiencing in trying to get your old girl regulated on Veterol. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you, your question came in very early this morning and I just now found in in the stack of unanswered questions. How may I help you, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know if her sores are related to the cushings
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Sorry for the delay again, I've been offline while running errands. Cushings can definitely cause skin problems that will manifest as sores. High levels of cortisol in the body can lower the resistance to infection as well as cause thinning of the structure of the skin, so skin infections are quite common in Cushings dogs. I'm not sure of the timing as to when the sores appeared in relation to the varying levels of cortisol in her blood, but the fluctuations could well be responsible for the skin lesions you've described. Do the sores seem to be healing at this point, or are they getting worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are not too bad. I can probably just clean them and put on some antibiotic
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. If your veterinarian can get the cortisol levels properly regulated, which can be quite tricky, the sores should heal fairly quickly. Cleaning and the application of a topical antibiotic is a very good idea in the meantime. Hopefully soon, she'll be back to her old self, but if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Kind regards, *****