Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

I have a 4 year old Australian Shepard named Charlie. My

Customer Question

Hi I have a 4 year old Australian Shepard named Charlie. My girlfriend dumped some cooking grease in the backyard and apparently he's been knee deep in it all day while at work. After he ate his dinner he threw up and now seems to be feeling very uncomfortable. Should I take him into a vet tomorrow (if open, it's a saturday). Or will he be ok?? Thank you, Nick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How many times has he vomited?

Is he having any diarrhea?

Is he drinking water and holding it down?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Again Nick - I will unfortunately be going offline very soon and I wanted to make sure that you had an answer to your question in case I am offline when you are able to reply.

I definitely would take him to your vet tomorrow as my concern would be that he has developed a disorder called pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disorder in which the pancreas becomes very inflamed. This can be commonly caused after a dog ingests a very fatty meal such as eating the cooking grease. Pancreatitis can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of an appetite, and abdominal pain. Many dogs that have this disorder can be very painful requiring medication to reduce the discomfort. Most of the dogs that develop pancreatitis will recover after a couple of days, though if left untreated some dogs can get dehydrated very quickly which can be life threatening.

Therefore if he is vomiting quite a bit and is not holding down much of the water that he is drinking then I would get him to a vet as soon as possible. If he is holding down water fairly well though seems quite uncomfortable I would definitely get him to your vet tomorrow as your vet can give him medications to stop the vomiting, relieve pain, and help him recover much faster.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.