Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got sprayed by a skunk I used Dawn dish soap peroxide

Customer Question

My dog got sprayed by a skunk I used Dawn dish soap peroxide wder baking soda and now his chest is pure red like it's burnt what would I do to help him he was born on our farm and I can't take him to the vet he won't even get into a car he is a red heeler I'm very worried about him he's very sensitive you can't hardly touch him he was lots of food I've gotten to eat and drink now but I believe I'm starting to smell infection its been 5 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When am I going to get an answer or am I I meant he's been off his food but I finally got him to eat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If his skin changes haven't resolved by 5 days after being skunked and treated with the conventional soap-peroxide-baking soda there may well be infection brewing and this would require a systemic antibiotic prescribed by a vet. It doesn't sound as if you're able to treat him due to his behavior and so that vet can sedate him to examine and treat him properly. If you can't take him to a vet perhaps a traveling/housecall vet can come to your farm - the vet who attends to large animals on your farm, perhaps? It's difficult for an online vet to evaluate such a condition but if you could upload a photo of Tag's skin to our conversation I might be more accurate for you. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.