Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has allergies due to environmental reasons. I know it

Customer Question

My dog has allergies due to environmental reasons. I know it is not due to dietary reasons because the past two years I have worked closely with my Vet to feed my dog only premium dog foods (such as Science Diet) including treats. We do not give the dog any table food. The past 6 weeks he was on an antibiotic and a prescription to prevent itching. 7 weeks prior to that he was perspectives the same thing. As soon as he finishes his meds, he begins the non-stop itching again and the rash soon follows. My dog just finished his meds 2 days ago and is already itching & licking like crazy. He has not broken out in a rash as of yet. When he does get it, The rash comes in quickly as raised red pimple sized bumps and spreads quickly. There is no fluid inside the rash bumps. I bath him using shampoo from the vet and wipe his feet with unscented wipes when he comes in from outside in order to get the allergens off of his body and feet. We have also tried different sprays (such as Genesis) and lotions which have minimal impact. Is there something over the counter that I can give my dog to stop him from itching? Iis very expensive to bring him to the vet every time he breaks out (approximately $250); and also purchase his food as well. The vet had me try over the counter Allergy meds when it first started years ago but, it did not work.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have also tried Omega 3 fatty acids, coconut oil... all of the things that I have read on this site for dogs with similar issues. Except for Betadine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Chase's problems with allergies. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There is a new medication for dogs with environmental allergies called Apoquel. About 80% of dogs I have started on Apoquel have shown improvement in a few days. There are fewer side effects than we see with things like steroids. It is only available by prescription and some veterinarians can't get it but I would ask your veterinarian about it

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

As far as over the counter products, have you tried Quercetin, nettles, probiotics, anti oxidants, or antihistmines? These or combinations of these have all helped some dogs with allergies. Every allergy case is different and what works in one case may not help the next dog.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what else I can help with ir answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chase. How is everything going?