Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog threw up a few times today (atleast 3) and now is

Customer Question

Hi, my dog threw up a few times today (atleast 3) and now is making noises as if she wants to but "chokes it back" so it seems. She's tired and a bit lethargic. She'll play for a few minutes which is very different from her usual up all night to play. She's not panting heavily it restless, she's currently cuddling with me and falling asleep - however the vomiting motions and noise while less intense are still there. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found out the last time she threw up it was bile and foamy.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I have seen this happen on a few occasions when the stomach fills with air or a dog ingests something such as a bug or spider and causes a reaction. I can give you some basic guidelines but if this is not improving or progressing again then please consider a veterinary er tonight, especially if you note her abdomen is swollen at all or she begins to be restless with the retching...

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting/ retching episode and no water even to allow the stomach to rest and spasms to subside

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)
4- Also begin benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours which may sedate but if this is an allergic reaction will help get these episodes to subside. If she is resting you can try crushing this up first after about an hour after they resolve but please be cautious because it can cause the episodes to recur again as well

5-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

6- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!