Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I think my puppy ate an Advil gel pill 200 ml. They were in

Customer Question

I think my puppy ate an Advil gel pill 200 ml. They were in my pants pocket and when I went to wash the pants fell not. Not sure if there was one or two. I got one away from her but it was punctured.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long since she took the gel Advil?

2- So she got have eaten 1 plus what she took from the puncture one, correc?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been a little over an hour. I know for sure she had one in her mouth that I fished out. It had a puncture in it but does not look like much came out of it. I am not sure if there was another one or not. Don't think she could have swallowed it whole that quickly before I got to her. She weighs about 5 1/2 lbs and is almost 5 months old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have hydrogen peroxide.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am having some technical issues at this end. I am going to opt out so another expert can help you. I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am going to respond right away to request that you induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

In the meanwhile I am going to calculate the level of concern for this ingestion

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

So let's say that your puppy got a maximum of 250 mg of the advil

Weighing 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg) that means that the ingested concern is 250/2.5 which gives us 100 mg/kg

25–125 mg/kg

Associated Signs or Outcomes

Vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, anorexia

>175 mg/kg
All of the above plus hematemesis, melena, polyuria or polydipsia, oliguria, uremia, acute renal failure

In essence we need her to vomit the pill if there is one and if there is not one we are at a point that it would be best to have a veterinary er see her and give her mediation to protect the gi tract and reduce absorption of the medication. She didn't ingest enough to cause changes to the kidneys but it is alarming enough (if she did ingest it) that I would be erring on the side of safety and protecting her from any possible consequences of this ingestion

I hope this makes sense. Here is the article in regards ***** ***** in dogs for your review:

http://aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/t-toxbrief_0704_0.pdf

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you...I truly hope she is alright and apologize for the delayed responses for you this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to induce vomiting for Dolce. I am going to be signing off in just a minute but thought I would check in one more time before I do. Good luck to you both, truly

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Dolce to see how things went after we spoke last night? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!