Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 73 lb, 2 year old, maler Weim ate a tiny dispenser of

Customer Question

My 73 lb, 2 year old, maler Weim ate a tiny dispenser of Abreva. TorrThe dispenser was about 1 1/2" and probably 1/4 full. I've retrieved all the plastic parts, but the dispenser is empty. Should I give him Benadryl? It's too late for hydrogen peroxide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear that your guy is trying to get himself into trouble. I am happy to help you this evening. The good news is that the active ingredient in Abreva is at a low enough amount and is considered non toxic. The most I would expect to see is some stomach upset. It is good that she didn't eat any of the plastic. It is not necessary to give benadryl. Also not necessary to give any hydrogen peroxide since this product is not toxic. I would just watch him. Any vomiting more than 3 times or diarrhea more than 24 hours have him seen by your vet. Otherwise I do not really think you will see any of this.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.