Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My older lab is breathing funny. He is on antibiotics

Customer Question

my older lab is breathing funny. He is on antibiotics for a urinary infection and he does not seem to welcome my touch or be comforted by it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has been epileptic for 7-8 years
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Henry is not feeling well. Abnormal breathing can be caused by many different things.

Possible causes of breathing abnormalities include orthopedic pain, discomfort, intestinal pain, lung problems such as upper respiratory infection or pneumonia, behavioral such as anxiety or fear. Based on your history, I would wonder if Henry is painful. Can you take his temperature? Does his breathing seem labored or is it just fast? Is he coughing? Is his belly tense, distended or painful?

I would recommend having your regular veterinarian recheck him tomorrow morning and add more medications if he needs it. He may need a recheck urinalysis or blood work ensure there isn't anything else going on and if his lungs sound off, they may recommend chest x-rays as well.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Henry this evening? Is he feeling better? Is his breathing back to normal?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda