How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PATRICK KEITH Your Own Question
PATRICK KEITH
PATRICK KEITH,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience:  Veterinarian at SPCA
77654230
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
PATRICK KEITH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two 3 month old Poodles. 3 Lbs. They ate some wild

Customer Question

I have two 3 month old Poodles. 3 Lbs. They ate some wild Morels in the yard. I gave them peroxide to make them vomit. THey vomited several times. Are these morels poisonous to small dogs? I went to a vet and he is the one who told me to pour peroxide down them until they vomited. Now, the puppies are sleeping.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would be happy to help you this evening.

As a person that spends a lot of time in the outdoors, I know from personal experience how difficult it is to properly identify mushrooms. I have given up on this and stick to other plants that are easy to properly identify.

That being said, the first question is whether or not your puppies atetrue Morels, which are not poisonous, or did they eat the so called "False morels", which are very toxin indeed. Unless you, or your veterinarian, has had a lot of experience with identification of mushrooms, it is hard to say if what they ate was toxin or not.

Please understand that I am not toxcologist. But, at least in humans, the clinical signs (vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, possible coma) usually start at about 5 to 10 hours after consumption. The primary toxin in the false morels is quickly convertied to another substance that results in the toxicity. In dogs I have seen this cause vomiting, diarrhea, and impairment of liver function. I have hospitalized many patients and had them do well. It just takes several days for them to recover.

I know this is probably too much information, but the true Morels (Morchella) and the Half free (morchella semilibera) are not poisonous. The false Morels (Verpa bohemica and Gyromitra esculenta ), which are easily confused with the good ones, are very toxic. To know the true specifics of what the affects are in dogs, the best thing to do is contact the National Animal Poison Control. They do charge a fee for a consult and they will give you a case number. But, the good news is that once you have a case number, you can call them back and discuss that case with them at length at no additional charge.

I did come across a good website that you might look at for even further information on Morels: mushroom-appreciation.com. It has a lot of information and good photos.

I hope this information has been helpful. If so, please take the time to leave me with a review. I goal is to provide excellent service and reviews help me to improve.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yvonna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PATRICK KEITH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer was not helpful. ALL MUSHROOMS are bad for Dogs. I was proactive and went to the Vet ER. If I had waited for your answer, their kidneys could have shut down. YOU need to get another job.
Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 1 year ago.

I am really sorry that you did not find my information helpful. There are many types of mushroooms that people and dogs eat with no problems. All mushrooms are not bad. It is just that mushrooms are very difficult to identify unless you have a lot of experience. I have seen this sort of thing many times in my years of practice, especially during years when there is a lot of rain.

I did try my best to provide you with resources and options. Again, I am sorry that you were not satisfied.

I hope that everything worked out well for you in the end.

Kind regards,

Dr Keith