Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a 14 lb min pin. She just ate about 20 packets of

Customer Question

My dog is a 14 lb min pin. She just ate about 20 packets of Splenda about 20 minutes ago. Should I induce vomiting? If so, 2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- I will assume she also ate the wrapping paper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pacers and all
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How long has it been since she ate it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An hou ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hour
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the splenda is not going to be toxic. The main concern is the wrapping paper becoming obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. For this reason I would try to induce vomiting with peroxide, this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1.5 (one and half) teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the wrapping paper in the vomit change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the paper in the feces.

4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fendi. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter