Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a chihuahua which has had a cough few days now and

Customer Question

Hi I have a chihuahua which has had a cough for a few days now and then today I have noticed his stomach kind of making squeezing sounds and small amounts of blood imhis runny poo?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any vomiting?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isn't lethargic but not as playful. I am not aware of him eating anything out of the ordinary.. No medical conditions but vomited a couple of days ago but only once. He isn't really interested in the foods he likes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been licking his behind as well.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How often is he coughing?

2- How long has he had diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had the cough for about 4 days and had diarrhoea just today?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The diarrhea is a consequence of the inflammation. The sounds you are hearing are common when the intestines are over active.

Bloody diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. As far as the cough this can be a completely different problem a very common cause is a respiratory infection. Other possible causes are: A collapsing trachea, underlying heart disease, etc.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause for the bloody stool. And, to listen to his heart and lungs. He may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other people have suggested that the symptoms indicate to worms? Was this not a thought that you had?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

For the bloody diarrhea, yes, it is possible this could be caused by parasites. The conditions that I mentioned above were just a few, there are dozens of possible causes. But, yes parasites is a possibility. Upon examination your vet will be doing a fecal exam as well to rule out parasites.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Champs. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter